With more than 30 years experience as an architect, Neil Cownie has reached an enviable point in his career. In 2009, he established his own firm so he could focus on projects that bring him – and his clients – delight and joy.
Neil weaves together various influences – referencing the environment and site conditions; drawing inspiration from historical precedents and the latest innovations; a deep understanding of how people and spaces function; and his love of textural materials and hand crafted elements – to create residential, commercial and hospitality spaces that can be experienced through all five senses.
From large-scale master-planning down to the intricate details that elevate each project beyond the everyday, Neil brings wisdom and experience to his practice. He maintains close connections with his clients throughout the life of each project, to ensure the final outcome exceeds their expectations while remaining within budget.
In the earlier part of his career, Neil worked as a director at a major Perth firm, where he was responsible for a range of project types including houses, interiors, multi-unit residences, commercial buildings, hospitality and mixed use developments, many of them award-winning.
Now, he combines his passion for design in all its forms – architecture, landscape, furniture, lighting and objects – with his clients’ aspirations to realise their dreams in built form, always aiming to create timeless buildings that will endure.
- Registered with the Architects Board of Western Australia (A.B.W.A.) (1599)
- Fellow and A+ member of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (F.R.A.I.A.) (13812)
- Member of the Design Institute of Australia (D.I.A) (10189)
- Member of the Housing Industry of Australia (H.I.A.) (1174673)
- Member of the Association of Consulting Architects (A.C.A.) (6020)
- Affiliate Member of the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects WA
- Board member of the Architects Board of Western Australia, since 2015 – current.
- Design Institute of Australia WA Committee Member, since 2016 – current.
- Ngala Building Advisory Committee Member, since 2018 – current.
Architectural Jury Member
- 2018 A.I.A. WA Alterations and Additions Category Chair.
- 2018 ‘Super Studio’ – Architecture Student Competition Juror.
- 2018 ABWA ‘Board Award for Curtin University Board Graduate’ Juror.
- 2018 DIA WA Graduate of the Year Awards (GOTYA) Juror.
- 2017 ‘Super Studio’ – Architecture Student Competition Juror.
- 2017 A.I.A. WA Multi-residential Design Category Chair.
- 2017 D.I.A. WA ‘Best in State’ Award Juror.
- 2017 ABWA ‘Board Award for UWA Graduate’ Juror.
- 2015 A.I.A. WA Sustainable Design Category Juror.
- 2012 A.I.A. WA Single Residential Category Juror.
- 2010 A.I.A. WA Single Residential Category Juror.
- 2007 A.I.A. WA Single Residential Category Juror.
- World Architecture Festival ‘INSIDE’ Awards ‘Residential’ category finalist (one of 12 worldwide) – Winners announced following a live presentation to Jurors – Amsterdam November 2018.
- R.A.I.A. WA Architecture Award ‘Residential’ category 2018 for Roscommon House.
- R.A.I.A. WA Architecture Award ‘Interior Architecture’ category 2018 for Roscommon House.
- R.A.I.A. WA ‘Shortlisted’ in the Lighting Award category 2018 for Roscommon House (one of five buildings).
- Australian Timber Design Awards 2018 National Winner in the ‘Residential Interior fit-out’ category for Roscommon House.
- Australian Timber Design Awards 2018 Finalist in the ‘Furniture / Joinery’ category 2018 for Roscommon House.
- Australia by Design – Channel 10 TV Program ‘Best in State’ Award 2018 + ‘Runner up’ Award Nationally for Roscommon House.
- Interior Design Awards (IDA) Honourable Mention 2018 for Roscommon House.
- Houses Magazine Awards Shortlisted ‘Residential 200sqm + Category 2018 for Roscommon House.
- Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) Shortlisted ‘Residential Category 2018 for Roscommon House – Winners announced November 2018.
- Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) Shortlisted ‘Sustainability’ Category 2018 for Roscommon House – Winners announced November 2018.
- U.D.I.A. Awards ‘Affordable Housing’ Category Finalist for Madeley Housing Sub-division 2018 (108 houses).
- D.I.A. WA Commendation Awards ‘Product Design’ category for ‘Blade Runner’ pendant light 2017.
- D.I.A. WA Shortlisted ‘Product Design’ category for ‘Gen-Den Table’ 2017.
- DULUX DIAlogue Travel Award 2016 Winner of the Dulux Design Travel Tour to Stockholm & London in September 2016.
- Housing Industry of Australia (H.I.A) Shortlisted finalist in the 2016 Energy Efficiency Category for New Houses.
- D.I.A. ‘Good Design Australia’ Awards – shortlisted finalist in Interior Category 2016
- D.I.A. ‘Good Design Australia’ Awards – shortlisted finalist in Residential Architecture Category 2016
- Design Institute of Australia Award (D.I.A.) – Shortlisted for the Interior Design Category 2015.
- Design Institute of Australia Award (D.I.A) – Shortlisted for the Product Design Category 2015.
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Interior – Cottesloe apartment building 2003
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Multi- residential – Shenton Park 2003.
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award of Merit, Commercial – Office building – Northbridge 2002.
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Institutional – Morley Police Station 1999.
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Residential – Greygoose residence 1998.
- Molloy Island holiday house competition full school of architecture UWA –second prize 1984.