With more than 30 years experience as an architect, Neil Cownie has reached an enviable point in his career. In 2009, he established his own firm so he could focus on projects that bring him – and his clients – delight and joy.
Neil weaves together various influences – referencing the environment and site conditions; drawing inspiration from historical precedents and the latest innovations; a deep understanding of how people and spaces function; and his love of textural materials and hand crafted elements – to create residential, commercial and hospitality spaces that can be experienced through all five senses.
From large-scale master-planning down to the intricate details that elevate each project beyond the everyday, Neil brings wisdom and experience to his practice. He maintains close connections with his clients throughout the life of each project, to ensure the final outcome exceeds their expectations while remaining within budget.
In the earlier part of his career, Neil worked as a director at a major Perth firm, where he was responsible for a range of project types including houses, interiors, multi-unit residences, commercial buildings, hospitality and mixed use developments, many of them award-winning.
Now, he combines his passion for design in all its forms – architecture, landscape, furniture, lighting and objects – with his clients’ aspirations to realise their dreams in built form, always aiming to create timeless buildings that will endure.
- Design Institute of Australia WA 2017 Commendation Award in the Product Design – Industrial Design category for ‘Blade Runner’ pendant light.
- Design Institute of Australia WA 2017 Shortlisted in the Product Design – Furniture category for ‘Gen-Den’ table.
- Dulux DIAlogue on Tour Award, Recipient 2016
- Good Design Awards, Finalist Interior Design Category 2016
- Good Design Awards, Finalist in Architectural Design Category 2016
- D.I.A. Design Institute of Australia Award – Shortlisted for the Interior Design Category 2015
- D.I.A. Design Institute of Australia Award – Shortlisted for the Product Design Category 2015
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award of Merit, Commercial – Office building – Northbridge 2002
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Interior – Cottesloe apartment building 2003
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Multi- residential – Shenton Park 2003
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Institutional – Morley Police Station 1999
- R.A.I.A. Architectural Design Award Commendation, Residential – Greygoose House 1998
- University of Western Australia Second Prize, Molloy Island Holiday House 1984
- Member of the Architects Board of Western Australia, since 2015
- D.I.A. WA Committee Member, since 2106
- Registered with the Architects Board of Western Australia (A.B.W.A.) (1599)
- Fellow and A+ member of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (F.R.A.I.A.) (13812)
- Member of the Design Institute of Australia (D.I.A) (10189)
- Member of the Housing Industry of Australia (H.I.A.) (1174673)
- Member of the Association of Consulting Architects (A.C.A.) (6020)
- Affiliate Member of the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects WA
- 2017 D.I.A. WA Awards ‘Best in State’ juror.
- 2017 A.I.A. Awards Jury Chair in the Multiple Residential Category
- 2014 A.I.A. Awards Jury Member in the Sustainable Architecture Category
- 2011 A.I.A. Awards Jury Member in the Residential Design Category